I enjoy experimenting and getting creative with salads. Today for lunch, I made a spontaneous red cabbage salad with a balsamic dressing. I looked in the fridge and picked out ingredients that would be suitable for a salad. Balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite vinegar to use for salad dressings because it has a good balance of sweet and sour.
This salad is bursting with natural sweetness and fresh flavor.
I hope you will enjoy this recipe!
This recipe serves 2
1/4 of a red cabbage, shredded
3 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
1 avocado, cut into pieces
a hand full of salted almonds, lightly toasted
2 medium sized fresh button mushroom, thinly sliced
4 sprigs of curly parsley, chopped
6 red globe grapes from Chile, cut into 4 wedges
1/2 cup of Balsamic vinegar (I use Balsamic Vinegar of Modena)
1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, put aside.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour the Balsamic vinaigrette over the salad and toss well.
This is a versatile salad recipe. You can play around with the ingredients, add what you like.
I found this roasted lemon chicken thigh with potatoes recipe on http://thewoksoflife.com via Pinterest. I love cooking with chicken thighs because they are more tender and versatile, it does not toughen over long cooking periods. This recipe was really easy to make, requiring just a few simple ingredients.
The original recipe serves 6. As I was only cooking for two, I prepared half of each ingredient in the recipe. What I love about this dish was that the chicken and potatoes retained its natural sweetness and flavor. The parsley gave the dish a nice aromatic flavor. As Elise Bauer from simplyrecipes.com describes “It brightens flavors”.
- 6 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ pounds Eastern or Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley leaves
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, and season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a roasting pan set over two burners at medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken skin-side down in the roasting pan. After the chicken thighs have been searing for about 5-7 minutes, flip them over. Add the potatoes and stir them in the oil. Add the lemon slices and garlic cloves, tossing everything together, so the potatoes and garlic are well-coated in olive oil.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and stir in the herbs. Serve.